The CMMC 2.0 Update for 2023 is reshaping the compliance landscape. Ready to boost your cybersecurity and protect your IT? Let IsI be your guide to CMMC compliance!
The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) 2.0 program is a significant improvement over the original CMMC framework. It is more streamlined, aligned with NIST standards, and flexible. CMMC 2.0 is also designed to be more collaborative and adaptable to evolving cyber threats.
CMMC 2.0 is required for all Department of Defense (DoD) prime contractors and subcontractors that handle controlled unclassified information (CUI) by 2025. This means that organizations in the Defense Industrial Base (DIB) need to start preparing for CMMC 2.0 now.
What is CMMC 2.0
CMMC 2.0 is a cybersecurity framework that helps organizations implement cybersecurity practices that align with the NIST Cybersecurity Framework (CSF) and NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-171. CMMC 2.0 is divided into three levels of cybersecurity maturity:
- Level 1: Foundational
- Level 2: Advanced
- Level 3: Expert
The level of CMMC certification required for a particular contract will be specified by the DoD in the solicitation and request for information (RFI).
Why the CMMC 2.0 Update Matters
The Department of Defense created a list of security requirements for contractors holding Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) in 2012. However, compliance with these requirements was self-attested, meaning that contractors were responsible for assessing their own compliance and reporting their findings to the DoD. This system was found to be ineffective, as many contractors simply ignored the requirements or failed to adequately assess their compliance.
The DoD announced a program for third-party assessment of the security framework. However, the implementation of this program was delayed multiple times, which further eroded the credibility of the CMMC program.
In 2023, the DoD officially started the lawmaking process to make CMMC 2.0 mandatory for all DoD contractors that handle CUI. This means that organizations in the Defense Industrial Base (DIB) will need to comply with CMMC 2.0 requirements in order to do business with the DoD.
The CMMC 2.0 update is important for a number of reasons.
- It improves cybersecurity for the DoD supply chain. CMMC 2.0 requirements are based on best practices for cybersecurity, and they are designed to help organizations protect their systems and data from cyberattacks.
- It levels the playing field for DIB contractors. CMMC 2.0 requirements are the same for all DIB contractors, regardless of their size or budget. This means that all DIB contractors will be held to the same cybersecurity standards.
- It demonstrates the DoD’s commitment to cybersecurity. The DoD is one of the largest targets of cyberattacks in the world. By making CMMC 2.0 mandatory for all DoD contractors, the DoD is demonstrating its commitment to protecting its systems and data from cyberattacks.
DIB contractors that need to comply with CMMC 2.0 will need to make significant changes to their IT systems and practices. This may include implementing new cybersecurity controls, training employees on cybersecurity best practices, and updating cybersecurity policies and procedures.
How IsI Can Make Sure You Are Following Compliance
IsI is a leading provider of cybersecurity solutions for DoD contractors. IsI has over 150+ years of combined experience in cybersecurity, compliance, and managed IT services. We can help you achieve CMMC 2.0 compliance with our comprehensive suite of cybersecurity services.
- Industry-leading tools: Our industry-leading tools have been carefully selected to support NIST 800-171 compliance
- Round-the-clock monitoring and support: We offer 24/7 monitoring and support to help you respond to cyberattacks quickly and effectively.
- CMMC registered practitioners (RPs) on staff: We have a team of CMMC RPs who can help you understand and implement the CMMC 2.0 requirements.
- CMMC Registered Provider Organization: We have been designated by the Cyber AB (formally known as the CMMC AB) as a CMMC Registered Provider Organization (RPO). We are also listed on the Cyber AB marketplace under DoD Security.
- Successful experience with C3PAO audits: We have successfully taken clients through the CMMC Third-Party Assessment Organization (C3PAO) audit process.
- Partnership with internal stakeholders: We work closely with our clients’ internal stakeholders to identify and address compliance gaps.
- Full suite of policies and procedures for NIST 800-171 compliance
How IsI Can Make the Transition to CMMC 2.0 Easy for Government Contractors
At IsI, we understand that the transition to CMMC 2.0 can be a challenge for government contractors. That’s why we offer a suite of services to make the process as easy and seamless as possible.
What makes IsI different…
We offer a white glove installation of all required software. We’ll take care of everything, from procurement to installation, so you can focus on your core business.
Starting a relationship with IsI is easy due to our collaborative onboarding process: We’ll work with you one-on-one to understand your unique needs and develop a customized CMMC 2.0 compliance plan.
We will provide a full NIST 800-171 compliance GAP Assessment with delivery of Plan of Actions and Milestones (POAM), System Security Plan (SSP), and Supplier Performance Risk System (SPRS) score.
The IsI experts take a proactive approach to the monitoring and managing of your IT systems. Your IT systems are crucial to your business, which is why they will be watched and secured on a 24/7 basis.
IsI can help define the process for an employee onboarding and offboarding process that will meet CMMC 2.0 requirements and keep your IT systems more secure overall.
IsI gives you the ability to have your entire security program under one roof with our multiple service offerings
At IsI, we understand that every government contractor is different, so we work with internal stakeholders to balance the compliance requirements against the your unique business needs. IsI is committed to helping our DoD clients achieve CMMC 2.0 compliance and protect their sensitive information. Contact IsI, the best choice for DoD cybersecurity, for the highest quality security solutions.